Sunday, April 25, 2010

Poem of the Unknown Confederate Soldier

I am reading a book on the apostle Paul.  The book is called "Paul A Man of Grace and Grit" by Charles R. Swindoll.  In one of the chapters he is discussing suffering and how to try to find contentment in grace.  He recites a famous poem from and unknown Georgia Confederate Soldier.  It goes like this:

I asked God for strength so that I may achieve.
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked God for health that I might do greater things.
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy.
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life.
I was given life that I might endure all things.
I got nothing I asked for...
Almost despite myself my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am among all men most richly blessed.

I do not believe in reincarnation but I must say, this poem sounds very very familiar.

No comments: